Monday, June 8, 2009

The Karaoke Kaper

Another notable difference between Korean and American schools is the level of group socializing that goes on with the teachers. Everything in Korea revolves around the concept of family and the faculty of a school is one of the many "families" of which you can be a member in Korean society. This is true throughout the workplace--not just schools. Kia or Hyundai employees think of their immediate and extended work groups as a kind of family. Life events (births, marriages, deaths, etc.) are celebrated or mourned together as a group. Only in this way can the chi (prounounced like "key") or life force/essence of the indvidual or group be maintained in proper harmony and balance. This is background for my explanation as to how I got invited (railroaded would be a better description) to do my first ever gig as a karaoke singer. (I'll pause and wait for the laughter to subside)

Following a semi-monthly teachers' group dinner out, I was told we were going to a karaoke parlor at which a group can rent a room with a karaoke machine and a private cash bar. I had read about this beloved Asian pastime in a guide book and knew two things: first, everybody goes (very bad manners to refuse to support the group will); second, everybody sings at least one solo. The machine can be set to do any song in a number of different languages. (Sadly, English is on the list). I was offered a book with the playlist and asked to pick my song. They even said someone would do a duet with me if I wanted help. I decided to "save face" (Asians are big on that) and go solo so as to receive maximum respect no matter how badly my chi was about to suffer. Long story short, I butchered my way through "I'm a Believer" by The Monkees and with that synthesizer microphone even if you stink you sound semi-respectable. At the end, they have an applause meter and the crowd claps for you to get a rating. I got what I thought was a respectable 84, but the principal of the school wasn't satisfied and he led a second round of applause and cheering that raised my score to a 96. So, I went to bed that night with my personal dignity in shreds by my chi intact and my life force overflowing.

Please pray for me because I'll probably have to do this again. What have you been doing for fun lately? Until later.......

Bill
(The Karaoke Kid)

3 comments:

  1. hahaha I know the feeling. The same thing happened with me 2 years ago. My boss was so excited to organize a party at a karaoke bar, we each had to do a song... what a DISASTER ! Now I make sure to practice alone on site such as www.online.thekaraokechannel.com, just to make sure I will be prepared in the likely event of another karaoke party !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This trip is definitely broadening your horizons! I'm only sorry they don't video it so we could enjoy your performance. It's a long way from Shakespeare, huh? We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh please someone put up a video on You Tube of the next time out!

    Hi Bill! Loving the blog! Check out my blog to see what I have been doing for fun thebarefootphotographer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete