Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My Friend Jack

September 30, 2009


Among the new friends I've made in Korea is my good buddy, Jack. Jack is a Down's syndrome child whose older brother ia a sixth grader at my school. His mother appeared at the school recently and begged that the boy be allowed to attend school some so he could be with other children. She said his older brother would be responsible for him or she would come sit in school to be sure he wasn't any trouble. At first, the PTB's ( powers that be) said no because our school is hardly equipped to deal with a special needs child. In fact, however, in one way or another the entire student body of my school is one big special needs group.

Long story short: I put on my idiot boob hat (again!) as I wandered upon the situation and told the PTB's the boy could hang out with my classes, maybe learn some English and enjoy being with other kids. The sixth graders have sort of adopted him as a mascot and his brother takes care of bathroom needs and feeds him lunch. I can't competently get my tongue around some Korean names, so I decided to call him Jack and he seems to like it. He's a kind boy, very friendly and is able to function at a good level. Jack represents a stigma for his family in Korean society which appears to be quick to cover up its embarrassments. I take it his family can't or won't institutionalize him (if you can even do that in Korea) and his mother (as is the case with all good mothers) is willing to stick her neck out and try to do something to help him even if society in general thinks my buddy, Jack, should be out of sight and mind.

I'll report anything noteworthy about Jack, but I already have one fun story to tell on him. The other night, I saw the movie "Top Gun" on Korean TV dubbed in Korean. (Tom Cruise could do a better job of synchronizing his lips with the Korean voiceover.) Remember the pilots saying "Rock 'n roll" when flying a mission? Well, I used the expression with Jack as in "Come on Jack...let's rock 'n roll!" and he likes it so much that he says it to everyone he sees. I think the principal is thoroughly confused, but his mentors in the sixth grade get it and humor him with it.

Please pray for Jack and throw in a request that I be allowed to help him just a little and benefit from his friendship.


Rockin' and Rollin'.

(Special Needs) Teacher Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment